Back in November, American Airlines announced changes to its award chart to take effect on March 22nd, 2016. All award bookings made before this date will be according to the current award chart. Given the fact that American Airlines allows bookings up to 331 days in advance, miles can be used on March 21st, 2016 to redeem for award flights based on the current award chart through February 15, 2017.
In general, I ‘ve been less than enthused with American Airline’s award availability. I’ve had a much easier time using miles for United and other Star Alliance airlines. I’m also more than a big fan of United’s 1 allowed stopover and 2 open jaws on award tickets. That being said, AAdvantage miles have been a significant part of my miles and points strategy.
What do I need to know about the American Airlines Award Chart Changes?
- American Airlines is adding short-haul flights under 500 miles for 7.5k miles each way within the United States and Canada. This is similar to the changes British Airways will put into place on February 2nd on flights traveling under 1,150 miles away.
- American Airlines Off-Peak awards to the Caribbean and Mexico will not change. Flights to Central America will actually cost fewer miles (but with a shorter Off-Peak period)!
- A new off-peak award to Asia’s Region 2 will be added.
- Off-Peak travel dates for several regions of the world are changing and many of the changes reduce the period of time designated as off-peak.
- American Awards (Not Partner Awards) to Europe, Hawaii, and region 1 of both South American and Asia are increasing.
- Off-Peak Awards on partner airlines are no more(!), with Europe as the sole exception.
- There are significant increases to Business and First Class Awards to Asia, Europe, South America’s Region 2, and the South Pacific
I know it can be difficult to sort through all of this information and what it means for your travel plans. I’m sure you’re wondering…
Should I book my American Airlines Award before or after the award chart changes on March 22, 2016?
I’ve put together a chart to help answer many of your questions about the changes. Visuals always work better for me! Just check where you’d like to go to see what’s changing. Remember, except for Europe, Off-Peak partner awards will be history when the new award chart takes effect.
What do you think of the American Airline award chart changes? How will you use your American Airlines miles?
Like this post? Please share it on social media using the share buttons below!